Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Bathtime Baby...a Mommy's Early Christmas Present

I suppose since the word "family" is in the title of my blog, I should at least occassionally include some pithy stories about them. Here is one...

It really is the little things that make mommies and daddies happy. My child, soon to be 3, has always loved taking a bath. That is, until about two months ago. Then she suddenly decided bathtime was tortue time. And when I say suddenly, I'm not exaggerating. One day we gave her a bath and everything was fine. Next time we gave her a bath there was screaming and shrieking. We were at my grandmother's house at the time and grandma came down the hall thinking the punkin had hurt herself, there was so much screaming.

Thankfully, the screaming didn't last long. We moved from screaming to crying. The punkin would start to cry just from hearing the bath water running. Probably the most pathetic moment was a few days ago when she was leaning against the doorframe, looking skyward, tears running down her cheeks "why, god, why must I take a bath?" I imagined her saying.

Although the crying was an improvement over screaming, it was still frustrating. And I missed the little girl who loved bathtime. It is just a phase, I told myself again and again. She'll grow out of it. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, but she'll grow out of it.

Last night was a step in the right direction. She wasn't happy about getting in the bathtub, but she didn't cry either. And, most exciting of all, she spent some time playing in the tub. Success! It was like an early Christmas present for mommy. Now I just hope it's the beginning of a new phase, and not just a one-time Christmas bath reprieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment