Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Our Country Needs a Hobby

I read an article this morning headlined "Trading Card Company Upper Deck Says It Stands By Tiger".

Good for them.

I'm sure right now you might be questioning my wisdom, and that's fine if you feel differently, but here's how I feel.

He cheated on his wife. Does that make him an a-hole? Yes. Does that lessen his golfing ability? No. Upper Deck is concerned with his golfing ability, not his marital fidelity.

A coworker asked me, "well, now that he's cheated on his wife, do you really want him selling things to you?"

I'm OK with it, for the most part. Go ahead, Tiger, keep selling cars, razors, golf clubs, whatever else you were hawking before the accident. These things have nothing to do with fidelity. What I don't want to see is Tiger advertising a marriage workshop for First Things First.

I don't care that he cheated on his wife. Well, OK, as a wife myself, I care a little bit, but only out of solidarity with the Mrs. ... But it's really none of my business. It's none of our business. This is something they should work out -- one way or another-- between themselves.

I don't say this for Tiger, I say this for his wife. As embarassing as this might be for him, can you imagine your husband cheating on you, then knowing EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY KNOWS IT? As much as Tiger doesn't want this played out in the media, do we think his wife likes turning on the television and hearing the latest in Tiger-Gate?

Let's all just grow up and turn off the trash. Let Tiger and his wife work this out...or not. But we don't need to watch it like it's a soap opera. It's not a script written for our enjoyment...it's someone's life.

Next time someone famous cheats on his or her spouse, give it this test -- if (insert famous person's spouse's name here) was a friend of yours, would you be discussing his or her marriage around the water cooler?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think people are worried about him selling stuff. I think the companies will loose face for supporting him. Golfing has nothing to do with selling razors and cars. People recognize him and are drawn to the add. Now they will look at it with a little more disdain. Add campaigns are all about visual appeal and the first thing you think of when you see them.

    ReplyDelete